Full-Tang Battle Ready Viking Ulfberht Sword
Windlass Steelcrafts Full-Tang Battle Ready Viking Ulfberht Sword - High Carbon Steel - Tempered
More than a thousand years ago, the Ulfberht Sword was the epitome of weaponsmithing technology. If your average pattern-welded sword of the Viking Age was a Toyota Camry, then the Ulfberht Sword, so named for the distinctive mark left behind by its eponymous maker, would have been a Ferrari. Thanks to its all-steel blade, the Ulfberht Sword came to dominate battlefields throughout Europe as stronger, faster, and easier to wield, causing the design to become so widespread that nearly 200 relics of this time period have survived to this day.
If you're looking to buy an exact reproduction of the legendary Ulfberht Sword, from its brazil nut-shaped pommel, leather-wrapped hilt, and its 30-inch blade with its maker's mark on the extra-wide fuller. Coming complete with a protective scabbard, this iconic weapon is made from the same high carbon-steel that gave the original Ulfberht Sword so strong and durable, ensuring you'll be able to enjoy this historic work of art for years to come!
Key Features: - Based on the historical sword of Ulfberht - Chemically etched on both sides of the blade - Displays writing upon wide fuller - Leather wrapping on grip creates a sure hold - Fantastic example of Viking weaponry - Comes with a matching scabbard - Materials: Blade is made of high carbon stee and has been sharpened. Grip is wood wrapped with leather, Pommel and crossguard are steel - Measurements: Overall: 35.75 Inches, Blade Length: 30.25 Inches, Blade Width 2 1/8 Inches, Weight: 3 lbs.
- Strong, sharpened 1065 high carbon steel blade with a Full Tang that has been fully tempered and heat treated properly so that the steel will spring back to shape with bending. This bend test is done to see if the blade can withstand forces from real use. |
- Replicated from a sword shown in Ian Pierce's book, Swords of the Viking Age. Meticulously studied, there is a legend that a Nordic smith named Ulfberht developed the first all steel blade which reached near-mythical status among warriors. Many variants exist, this specific replica shows the improvements in design with a more tapered blade close to the point, giving better balance and maneuverability. |
- Hand-Forged, Handmade by Expert Blacksmiths at Windlass Steelcrafts - the first and last name in swords. With a history that started in manufacturing weapons for the armed forces of the British Empire since 1943, today Windlass Steelcrafts manufactures for armies around the world including the US Armed Forces. |
- Includes authentic real leather matching scabbard. The grip is wood wrapped with leather. The stout crossguard is steel and the pommel is of the Brazil nut shape that was quite popular at the time, both with Vikings and the rest of Europe. |
- Great for Viking, Renaissance, Medieval cosplay, display, and cutting - swords are a great accessory to any outfit! Use Caution as this is a Real, Capable, Battle-Ready Weapon Replica based off of a real sword. Use caution and check local laws before taking this to any festival or public spaces.
Unless indicated differently in each product description, our shields are made out of 15mm thick birch plywood and consolidated by a steel hand-hammered umbo and iron bolts.
Shipping & Returns
Shipping & Returns
We offer free US shipping. The average estimated shipping time is 30 days, including a 7 to 15 days of production for our more complex handmade crafts.
Unless advised otherwise under each product listing, we have a 30-day return policy and a hassle free return policy if you are not satisfied with your item. Terms and conditions apply.
Unless indicated otherwise, our shields have a 24 inches diameter (61 cm) and weights around 6.6 pounds (3 kg)
Because these are handmade products made with real wood blanks the sizes, textures and overall appearance may vary from the product photos and description. Some blanks might be smaller than anticipated, or larger sizes too thick to transport at a low cost.
We recommend applying three or four times per year some beeswax polish to protect the wood surface from moisture and sunlight. Apply the oil onto a lint-free cloth and rub into the wooden surface following the direction of the grain. Leave for 3-4 minutes and buff over with a clean cloth.
Authentic Viking Craftsmanship
We take great pride in creating by hand, and with the highest quality materials authentic viking crafts for raiding, display, and collection purposes.
Shields are expensive to ship; they are often large and heavy. But we want to make sure that you never get surprised by this high cost. This means that we sometimes lose money shipping to the far reaches of the U.S. At the end of the day, we care more about sharing this passion for Norse heritage with you than the money we make.
If you aren't happy, or decide you want a different design, we have an easy exchange program for our shields. Just return ship the item and as soon as we receive it, we'll dispatch your replacement within 2 business days.